Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Top Stories

Graffiti Celebrating Hamas Sparks Police Investigation in Melbourne

URGENT UPDATE: Police are investigating disturbing graffiti that has surfaced in Melbourne, celebrating Hamas on the second anniversary of the October 7 terror attacks. The graffiti, which reads “Glory to Hamas,” was discovered early on October 7, 2023, above a shop at the intersection of Alexandra Parade and Brunswick St. Another message, “Free Palestine” along with “Oct 7, do it again,” was found further along on a building corner at Smith St.

This shocking display of anti-Semitic propaganda comes as Australia marks a painful anniversary, with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese condemning the messages as “abhorrent.” He announced that the Australian Federal Police will collaborate with Victoria Police to identify and prosecute those responsible. “The people responsible must face the full force of the law,” Albanese stated.

Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles echoed these sentiments on ABC Radio, revealing that authorities are assessing whether the graffiti constitutes a terrorism offense. Victoria Police confirmed they are investigating potential criminal damage related to the billboard. A spokesperson emphasized, “There is absolutely no place at all in our society for anti-Semitic or hate-based symbols and behaviour.”

The October 7 attacks resulted in the deaths of 1,200 people and the taking of approximately 250 hostages by Hamas, which has been designated a terrorist organization by Australia. Since then, 198 hostages have been returned to Israel, with 148 alive and 48 still in captivity. The attacks ignited an Israeli military response that has claimed over 66,000 lives in Gaza, according to Palestinian health authorities.

Alex Ryvchin, co-chief executive of the Executive Council of Australian Jewry, described the Melbourne graffiti as despicable, highlighting the ongoing hatred towards the Jewish community. “We shouldn’t have to deal with this; this shouldn’t become the norm,” he told AAP. Ryvchin’s words resonate deeply as the Jewish community continues to mourn their losses.

Opposition Leader Sussan Ley voiced her concern, calling the graffiti deeply disturbing and asserting that Victorians deserve to feel safe in their own communities. “Supporting Hamas is not free speech; it is a crime,” Ley declared, demanding that those responsible be held accountable.

Premier Jacinta Allan strongly condemned the graffiti, calling it hateful and particularly disgraceful given the Jewish community’s mourning. “This behaviour does not represent peace,” she stated, affirming her support for the Jewish community.

Opposition police spokesman David Southwick, himself Jewish, expressed that the glorification of Hamas is sickening and called for immediate action rather than mere words. “The Jewish community has had a gutful of this,” he said outside the East Melbourne Synagogue, which was targeted in an alleged arson attack earlier this year. “We don’t want Melbourne to become Manchester. This should be a wake-up call to everybody.”

The Yarra City Council has announced plans to remove the graffiti once police complete their investigation. This incident marks a critical moment in ongoing discussions about anti-Semitism and hate speech in Australia, raising alarms about the normalization of such sentiments in society.

As investigations unfold, authorities urge the public to remain vigilant against hate-driven acts. The urgent call to action highlights the need for community solidarity in the face of rising extremism. Stay tuned for updates on this developing story.

You May Also Like

Education

A tragic house fire in Sanson, located in the Manawatu region of New Zealand, has resulted in multiple fatalities. According to Inspector Ross Grantham,...

Top Stories

UPDATE: A devastating house fire in Central Queensland has claimed the lives of four individuals, including two infants, leaving their father, Jake Symons, grappling...

Top Stories

UPDATE: Renowned Channel 9 newsreader Peter Overton is stepping away from his duties following a nasty fall at his home in Sydney. The incident,...

Top Stories

BREAKING: Big Brother fans are in a frenzy as contestant Abiola Oreyomi has seemingly vanished from the house, stirring speculation and confusion among viewers....

Entertainment

Clint Stanaway, a well-known presenter, has announced his departure from Channel 9 after nearly 25 years with the network. The 42-year-old sports and news...

Top Stories

UPDATE: The Six Nations has launched an urgent review into the heated confrontation between Tom Curry and Felipe Contepomi in the tunnel at Twickenham...

Top Stories

URGENT UPDATE: Police are currently responding to a significant incident at Rockhampton Airport, resulting in the immediate evacuation of the terminal and the cancellation...

Top Stories

UPDATE: Destructive wind gusts are currently battering remote communities in the Top End as tropical cyclone Fina strengthens and approaches major population centers. The...

Top Stories

URGENT UPDATE: A tragic incident has claimed the life of 15-year-old Muhammed Kendirci in Sanliurfa, Turkey, following a horrifying prank involving a high-pressure air...

Top Stories

UPDATE: A catastrophic storm has just hit the remote town of Port Pirie, South Australia, causing unprecedented destruction and chaos. This storm, now classified...

Lifestyle

Skye Gyngell, the renowned Australian chef and influential restaurateur, has died at the age of 62 in London. Her family confirmed her passing on...

Top Stories

BREAKING: The legendary Australian talkback radio host, John “Lawsie” Laws, has tragically passed away at the age of 90. News of his death sent...

Copyright © All rights reserved. This website provides general news and educational content for informational purposes only. While we strive for accuracy, we do not guarantee the completeness or reliability of the information presented. The content should not be considered professional advice of any kind. Readers are encouraged to verify facts and consult appropriate experts when needed. We are not responsible for any loss or inconvenience resulting from the use of information on this site.