Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Top Stories

WA Unveils $109.9 Million Funding Boost to Combat Domestic Violence

Roger Cook claimed that his government is committed to doing all it can to end FDV with Family Violence Minister Jessica Stojkovski said the level of funding is unprecedented.

UPDATE: The Western Australian government has just announced a groundbreaking funding package of $109.9 million to address a staggering 16% surge in domestic violence offences. This unprecedented investment will be unveiled on Monday during the 16 Days in WA Seven West Business Breakfast, part of the national campaign to eradicate violence against women.

With 45,977 offences reported in the last financial year, this funding aims to enhance the capacity of Family and Domestic Violence Response Teams. Specifically, $34.9 million will be allocated to ensure these teams operate seven days a week with increased staffing. The goal? Deliver timely and effective intervention to those in crisis.

“My government is committed to doing all it can to end family and domestic violence in WA,” stated Premier Roger Cook. “Every West Australian deserves to feel secure at home, at work, and in the community.” This initiative adds to a cumulative $707.6 million invested to combat family and domestic violence across the state, highlighting a robust commitment to protecting vulnerable populations.

Recent crime statistics illustrate the urgency of this initiative, revealing that WA Police respond to more than 125 family assault calls daily. The police response has faced scrutiny, especially after an alleged victim was turned away from a Perth police station last week while attempting to report a breach of a violence restraining order. Police Commissioner Col Blanch publicly apologized for the incident, which saw the arrest of Ryan Michael Tucker, 35, on charges of aggravated stalking the following day.

The funding package will also direct $45.8 million towards the Family and Domestic Violence System Reform Plan. This includes essential training for first responders on coercive control and enhancements to the Safe at Home program for victim-survivors. Additionally, almost $15 million will bolster capacity at overcrowded refuges in Albany, Broome, and Midland, doubling the availability of new units to support women in crisis.

Sharon Gough, CEO of Indigo Junction, emphasized the critical need for this expansion, noting, “We’ve turned away 1,500 requests for accommodation for women in crisis over the past year. That takes its toll on the staff on a day-to-day basis.”

Minister for Prevention of Family Violence Jessica Stojkovski acknowledged the unprecedented level of funding, stressing the importance of a community-wide effort to combat domestic violence. “Our initiatives work together to prevent violence, support victim-survivors, and hold perpetrators accountable,” she said.

As this funding is set to roll out, the focus on prevention programs will also grow, particularly addressing the alarming trend of young people encountering violence in relationships. An additional $19.4 million will be allocated for counselling services, reinforcing the state’s commitment to holistic support for victims.

WHAT’S NEXT: The funding announcement is expected to draw attention from community leaders and activists, underscoring the ongoing fight against domestic violence in WA. As this story develops, further details on the implementation of these initiatives will be closely monitored.

This monumental funding boost marks a significant step forward in the battle against domestic violence in Western Australia, signaling a commitment to safeguarding the rights and safety of all citizens. As the state mobilizes resources and training, the hope is that fewer individuals will experience the devastating impacts of domestic violence.

You May Also Like

Top Stories

BREAKING: Big Brother fans are in a frenzy as contestant Abiola Oreyomi has seemingly vanished from the house, stirring speculation and confusion among viewers....

Education

A tragic house fire in Sanson, located in the Manawatu region of New Zealand, has resulted in multiple fatalities. According to Inspector Ross Grantham,...

Top Stories

UPDATE: A devastating house fire in Central Queensland has claimed the lives of four individuals, including two infants, leaving their father, Jake Symons, grappling...

Top Stories

UPDATE: Renowned Channel 9 newsreader Peter Overton is stepping away from his duties following a nasty fall at his home in Sydney. The incident,...

Entertainment

Clint Stanaway, a well-known presenter, has announced his departure from Channel 9 after nearly 25 years with the network. The 42-year-old sports and news...

Top Stories

UPDATE: The Six Nations has launched an urgent review into the heated confrontation between Tom Curry and Felipe Contepomi in the tunnel at Twickenham...

Lifestyle

Toni Lamond, a prominent figure in Australian theatre and television, passed away on October 6, 2023, at the age of 93. Her remarkable career...

Top Stories

URGENT UPDATE: Police are currently responding to a significant incident at Rockhampton Airport, resulting in the immediate evacuation of the terminal and the cancellation...

Top Stories

URGENT UPDATE: A massive factory fire is raging in North St Marys, Sydney, with flames soaring up to 15 metres high. The inferno, which...

Top Stories

UPDATE: Destructive wind gusts are currently battering remote communities in the Top End as tropical cyclone Fina strengthens and approaches major population centers. The...

Top Stories

URGENT UPDATE: A tragic incident has claimed the life of 15-year-old Muhammed Kendirci in Sanliurfa, Turkey, following a horrifying prank involving a high-pressure air...

Top Stories

UPDATE: A catastrophic storm has just hit the remote town of Port Pirie, South Australia, causing unprecedented destruction and chaos. This storm, now classified...

Copyright © All rights reserved. This website provides general news and educational content for informational purposes only. While we strive for accuracy, we do not guarantee the completeness or reliability of the information presented. The content should not be considered professional advice of any kind. Readers are encouraged to verify facts and consult appropriate experts when needed. We are not responsible for any loss or inconvenience resulting from the use of information on this site.